Standing up for others is the right thing to do, every human goes through a period of invincibility to vulnerability, if we don’t stand up for those who are vulnerable, then who will stand up for us when we are vulnerable?
Father Moon emphasizes the idea, “Living for the sake of others” indeed there is a lot of wisdom in it as Martin Niemoller also reflects it in his eternal poem, “first they came for the Jews, I wasn’t a Jew, so I did not say a thing, then they came for Communists, I didn’t care, I wasn’t a communist, then he concludes, then they came for me and it shattered me to know that there was no one left to speak up for me.”
The idea of alms, charity, taking care of the elderly, weak, sick and the children is a common theme in every religious tradition. It is indeed an insurance for every one’s well being. I cannot be at peace when others around me aren’t, and hence it behooves me to take care of the ones who need assistance.
I am blessed to have taken a stand for Jews, Catholics, Ahmadiyyas, Immigrants, Hindus, Falun Dafa, Zoroastrians, Muslims, Native Americans, Christians, Baha’i, Wicca, Sikh and other identities of humanity including GLBT community. It is the right thing to do.
Please note that I am no more of a volunteer than you are, if I have not spoken out against one of your dear causes, it is simply because not being aware and having only 24 hours in a day. If you would like to share it with me, please do so in the comments section.
Mahatma Gandhi has been a major inspiration in my life. Twice in my life I have seen Mahatma Gandhi in my dreams, the first time was when I was in College around 1971, when Mahatma Gandhi, the vice-chancellor of Bangalore University Sri V. Narsimaiah and I were having a dinner together and Mahatma puts his hands on my shoulders and says, “tujhe bahut kaam karna hai beta”, you have a lot of work to do son, and again around 2003, he appears in my dreams and with the same affectionate hand (as my Dad’s), he pats on my back, “you have to do it”… the only thing I consistently get from this message was the work of Pluralism, help me God, I am committed to do.
Thanks to my Father and Mother for breaking away from the traditional practices of apartheid, growing up as kids, we did something that was un-heard of, the Dalits and us would eat off our plates, and drink tea off our glasses, they would come in to our home… and many had called my Dad for stopping it. I shall write that some time.
Links are linked where the compilation is done, others will be completed by 12/31/12 – God willling if I am alive.
- Standing up for Atheists
- Standing up for Apostates Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia work
- Standing up for Baha’i – Iran petitions
- Standing up for Christians http://standingupforothers.blogspot.com/2012/01/standing-with-christians.html
- Standing up for Hindus
- Standing up for Jains – Adding the Jain logo at DOJ
- Standing up for Jews http://standingupforothers.blogspot.com/2012/02/standing-up-with-jews.html
- Standing up for Muslims – Standing up for Ahamdiyya, Bohra, Ismailia, Shia, Sufi, Sunni and other Muslims
- Standing up for Pagans – Petition to save a woman in Saudi Arabia
- Standing up for Sikhs – Afghanistan, France, UK, USA, Pakistan
- Standing up for Wicca – Arlington Cemetery Head stones
- Standing up for Native Americans http://wisdomofreligion.blogspot.com/2010/02/petition-for-native-american-heritage.html
- Standing up for Gays and Lesbians http://standingupforothers.blogspot.com/2012/05/standing-up-for-gays-and-lesbians.html
- Standing up for Falun Dafa http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2006/3/19/70952.html
- Standing up for Women’s rights – Burqa, Sharia, divorce,
- Standing up for Darfur – Joined the Darful Coalition and petitions
- Standing up for Bosnia – Faxes, phone calls etc.
- Standing up for Burmese Buddhists – http://wisdomofreligion.blogspot.com/2007/10/stand-with-burmese-people.html
- Standing up for Palestinians and Jews together
- Standing up for Immigrants
To be updated, God has blessed me to be a part of many a societies and I am thankful for the same. I urge you to knock off one hour’s TV or gossip and spend that time standing up for others, the least you can do is to let them know that you are with them and that they are not alone.
MikeGhouse is committed to building a Cohesive America and offers pluralistic solutions on issues of the day. He is a professional speaker, thinker and a writer on pluralism, politics, civic affairs, Islam, India, Israel, peace and justice. Mike is a frequent guest on Sean Hannity show on Fox TV, and a commentator on national radio networks, he contributes weekly to the Texas Faith Column at Dallas Morning News and regularly at Huffington post, and several other periodicals across the world. The blog www.TheGhousediary.comis updated daily.